Saturday, August 25, 2012

08-25-12 Gold Finch

I was photographing a butterfly and lost sight of it.  As I was scanning the area to find it I noticed this gold finch deep in the cover.  I stood as still as possible and he flew up to this perch where I could get a clear shot of him.  "Clear" with the exception of the one out of focus stick running through his body.


A gust of wind came up and ruffled his feather.  A different crop, but the same out of focus stick.


Here's that butterfly ... or is it a moth? I'm not sure.


The above were all from Rockwood State Park.  Later I took a cruise out to Lock and Dam 13.  Not too much going on there.  Here's a heavily cropped photo of a pied-billed grebe.


And finally a turtle with a dragonfly on it's nose.  



5 comments:

  1. Great shots! The turtle one is awesome. I love how you can see its reflection.

    There is a flyer on the window of that taxidermy shop across from the post office in town that is something about wildlife photographers...and pictures of ducks...I didn't read it carefully because I never takes those types of pictures, but you might want to stop and see what it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you had one of these on your perch? http://www.flickr.com/photos/detomaso/7839602014/in/photostream/

    It's a cool project: Legos and birds. Now how could that go wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are really coo and appear to be made from scratch like we did in the old days. Have you noticed most new lego sets are for a specific project. I guess they're good for teaching kids how to follow directions and read blueprints but where is the imagination and creativity.

      Delete
  3. It's not a Goldfinch. The colours are all wrong. Goldfinch has distinctive red section around the head and is not as yellow as this bird.

    See: http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/g/goldfinch/index.aspx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. The goldfinches here in the United States are a little different than they are in the UK. I guess the proper name is American Goldfinch.
      See here
      http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/American_Goldfinch/id

      Delete